Ok so this is a page for all of my friends that keep asking for recipes! Put in a request and I'll post one up here for you - either something specific, or an occasion for which you're looking for inspiration. I promise I'll do my best!
Recipe 1 - this is for Wendy, so that she can woo the wonderful James. Apparently it ws a hit at my fireworks party - so here goes...
Chicken and Chorizo Jambalaya
Serves 4 (or two hungry Mr Gooch's)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 stick celery, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 chorizo ring, sliced into rounds
1 tsp chilli powder or chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
250g long grain rice (I go for easy cook - less chance of gloopyness)
400g tin chopped tomatoes
350ml hot chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and add the onion, pepper and celery. Sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilli, cayenne pepper, thyme and chorizo. Stir for 3 - 4 minutes to allow the chorizo to render some of the oil and to coat the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the rice, stir to mix with the rest of the ingredients and to coat in the oil for one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and chicken and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes until the rice in tender.
To serve: a nice green salad. Perhaps and tomato and mozarella salad. Crusty bread and butter works really well.
To be fair you can really play around with this one if you like. You could replace the chorizo with salami or any other spicey sausage. You could add some raw prawns for the last few minutes cooking.