For the cake
6 fl oz sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
175g/6oz light muscovado sugar
175g/6oz grated carrot
55g/2oz walnut pieces, broken up if whole
Grated rind of 1 orange
175g/6oz self-raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
For the icing
200g/7oz cream cheese
100g/3 ½ oz icing sugar
2tsp orange juice
Strips of orange zest
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm/9 inch square cake tin (though I used a round one and it worked just as well).
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, sugar and eggs. Stir in the grated carrots, sultanas, walnut pieces and orange rind.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg together into the bowl and mix evenly into the carrot mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40 – 45 minutes, until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Cook the cake in the tin for at least 5 minutes, then turn out to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, combine the cheese, icing sugar and orange juice in a bowl and beat until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake and swirl with a palette knife.
- Sprinkle with strips of orange zest and serve!